Conflicts arise as mutual understanding shrinks. Conflicts shrink as mutual understanding grows.
How can you increase mutual understanding?
1) When you’re talking, do more revealing. Reveal how you arrived at your point of view. Reveal your feelings. Don’t be cunning. Be revealing. Make it easier for others to understand the values and needs that are behind your position.
2) When they’re talking, listen deeply. Get really interested. Learn more about how they arrived at their point of view. Pay attention to their values and needs. Don’t be critical. Be curious.
Questions for reflection & action:
- Where are you experiencing conflicts?
- Where do you want more mutual understanding?
- How can you be more revealing in those situations?
- How can you listen more deeply in those situations?